We would like to acknowledge that this school is situated upon traditional territories.The territories include the Wendat, Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Mississaugas of the New Credit First Nations, and the Métis Nation.The treaty that was signed for this particular parcel of land is collectively referred to as the Toronto Purchase and applies to lands east of Brown’s Line to Woodbine Avenue and north towards Newmarket. We also recognize the enduring presence of Indigenous peoples on this land.
Fairbank Public School. formerly Fairbank Middle School, is a Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8 school which opened September 2012 following the closure of nearby Briar Hill Public School.
We have a diverse student population of approximately 230 students. We offer two full day JK/SK programs and a Gifted 4/5/6 class. The school underwent extensive renovations during the summer of 2012 and features a beautifully landscaped playground and large track and field. The school also has a lunchroom and kitchen from which a nutritious Morning Meal/snack program operates. We value computer technology at Fairbank. All classrooms feature Smartboards and we have purchased numerous iPads and Chromebooks. Fairbank has a large double-sized gym and a dedicated music room, as well as Itinerant Vocal Music and Strings programs. We are also part of the Toronto District School Board's Model Schools for Inner Cities Initiative.
DROP OFF AND PICKUP ROUTINE
To ensure safety in our school, please use the designated Primary/Junior and Intermediate doors for pick up and drop off of your children. At the end of the day, students are dismissed from these doors. Parents are to remain outside and make sure they have a designated meeting spot with their child. We strive to reinforce routines and to foster independence in our students and therefore ask that parents not assist students or wait for them inside the school.
If parents/guardians or other adults enter the school at any time during the day, they must be buzzed in by the office through the front doors of the school and report directly to the office. They must also exit through the front doors. Parents dropping of lunches must take them to the office. Parents are not permitted in the lunchroom.
Parents coming and going from the school should not let others into the school. All visitors and parents must be buzzed in.
Why are we called Fairbank?
"Fairbank is named after the former "Fairbank" farm, which had been owned by a pioneer settler named Matthew Parsons. The "Fairbank" farm was situated just north of Eglinton Avenue between Dufferin and Keele Streets.
Fairbank's early development centred around the intersection of Dufferin Street and Eglinton Avenue. This neighbourhood began with a one room school house which was built in the 1860's and followed by a hotel, a post office, a church and a handful of stores.
A stone marker from the original Fairbank school house has been preserved on the south wall of the present day Briar Hill School. The only other vestiges of the old Fairbank community are the Fairbank United Church, circa 1889, located at 2750 Dufferin Street, and a Georgian Survival style house located at 108 Stayner Avenue. This red brick house was built in 1852 by Jacob P. Ross, a Fairbank farmer.
Fairbank's growth from a rural hamlet to a big city neighbourhood began to take shape in 1892 when the short lived Belt Line Railway opened a station here. Fairbank's development was further enhanced in 1924 when the Toronto streetcar railway began service to this area."