News from your Library Learning Commons
Stats for 2016-2017
Another funtastic year for 2015-2016
Have a look at our end of year report
With Ms RamberanSingh's fun reading promotion video to end the year
LEARNING AND FUN IN THE LIBRARY
Check out the Library's Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter feeds for recent activities
WHAT A FANTASTIC YEAR!
Please check out our ANNUAL REPORT 2014-15
HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE LIBRARY CREW!
We've been redesigning the space to create new learning zones, from a tinkering "20% Time
" space with a Take-Apart station (thank you Laura Fleming!
), a drafting table, a light table, and 3D printer, to a comfy warm lounging reading zone, to collaborative "zoom" (KI) chairs, to the Digital Cafe with chargers and a great view. Students are flocking to the different areas for different purposes, creating new configurations and finding new ways to use the space. Everyone has been terrific with ideas and support, and we hope everyone finds a spot to learn in and enjoy!
Have you zoomed today? The zoom chairs allow you endless options.
Thanks SWAT Team!
Thanks Christina B. for updating all the English and Library iPads, with new apps too (Educreations, Word, Excel, PPT and more)
Gr. 9 Survey
are the results of our Incoming Gr. 9 Student Survey looking at digital learning and reading preferences.
Over 320 incoming grade 9 and ESL students visited the library with their English or ESL classes in September and participated in this survey anonymously. We are very grateful to the staff and students for helping us all understand these aspects of our students' experience a little better.
A few highlights:
- 73% have a cell phone though only 60% are wifi smartphones with internet access.
- 4 students do not have access to the internet at home.
- Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram are still the leading contenders for favourite social app.
- Happily only 8% said they don't know or don't use privacy settings online.
- 75% say they to use a paper calendar/school agenda to stay organized, but 11% say they don't use anything.
- 4% don't seem to like reading anything at all. The rest have a wide range of preferences in reading.
- 66% still like reading paper printed books and magazines, as well as digital devices.
Thank you all for participating!
SSR (Silent Sustained Reading) is a fabulous feature at Riverdale.
We all just STOP EVERYTHING AND READ.
Imagine that peace, that moment to quietly disappear into another world for 20 mns every day!
READING CAN ONLY HELP.
Come and see us if you'd like to try something new!
Riverdale CI TDSB
Lisa J. Dempster