Sir Sandford Fleming Secondary School opened in 1964. The school was named after Sir Sandford Fleming who immigrated to Canada in 1845. He was the chief engineer of construction for the Canadian Pacific Railway as well as a famous surveyor and inventor. Not only was he responsible for the invention of Standard Time, but also he designed the first Canadian stamp.
Continuing in this spirit of adventure, Fleming was the first school in North York to introduce the semester system. More recently, students, staff and community representatives have worked to redesign our school. In September 1996, we officially became an Academy. Scholarship, creativity and enthusiasm - these are the characteristics which mark the students and staff at Fleming!