Welcome to our school website. As part of the Toronto District School Board, we value each and every student. The Ben Heppner Vocal Music Academy is a performing arts school that helps shape our future musicians and artists. This unique TDSB programme engages students with a passion for music and performance. The Ben Heppner Vocal Music Academy is one of five new Elementary Academies that opened in September 2012 that focus on promoting excellence and encouraging the talents of our future musicians, artists, health experts and leaders.
Singing, creating and performing are at the core of the Ben Heppner VMA, targeted for boys and girls in Grades 4 to 8 with a passion for singing and performing. Our students and staff have had the exciting honour to perform at Massey Hall! Other performances included performing in the Show Choir Canada competition, the inaugural opening of the TDSB Board meeting, a flash mob at Dundas Square and performing on Breakfast Television (BT), but to name a few. We are looking forward to our performances this year.
At the BHVMA, students will experience music from around the world and learn about the musicians and music that have shaped our world, history, and cultures. Students will:
- Participate in a variety of vocal performance opportunities with a strong emphasis on ensemble singing
- Learn about and perform music from around the world and various historical eras
- Discover their creativity by writing and performing their own music
- Learn to think critically about the music they hear, perform and create
- Develop musicianship, artistry, self esteem and confidence
- Develop the art of performance and showmanship