FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®) Grades 9-12 (ages 14-18)
Dubbed a varsity Sport for the Mind,™(FRC) combines the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. Under strict rules, limited resources, and time limits, teams of 25 students or more are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program a robot to perform prescribed tasks against a field of competitors. It’s as close to “real world” engineering as a student can get. Professional Mentors volunteer their time and talents to guide each team.
Students get to:
- Work alongside professional engineers.
- Build and compete with a robot of their own design.
- Learn and use sophisticated hardware and software.
- Develop design, project management, programming, teamwork, and strategic thinking skills.
- Earn a place in the Championship.
- Qualify for over $16 million in college scholarships
Welcome to the FIRST Scholarship Program
Many colleges and universities, professional associations, and corporations offer college scholarships to high school students on FIRST teams. This is official recognition of the knowledge and technical and life skills these students have gained from participating in a FIRST competition.
As of, October 9th, for 2014, we have 150 confirmed scholarship providers that are making available 887 individual scholarship opportunities with a total value of approx. $18,131,757!
New providers are joing the FIRST Scholarship Program often- So keep checking back here to see new scholarships! Also, be sure to check the FIRST Scholarship Newsletter for special information.