Model Schools for Inner Cities Vision:
The TDSB has developed the Model Schools for Inner Cities (MSIC) program to provide students with the tools, resources, and opportunities they need to participate fully and equally in schools and their communities.
Five Essential Components:
1. Innovative Teaching and Learning Practices
2. Supportive Services to meet the Social, Emotional, and Physical Wellbeing of Students
3. School as the Heart of the Community
4. Research, Review, and Evaluation of students and programs
5. Commitment to Share Successful Practices
At Dennis Avenue C.S., we are pleased to be a Model School. Mr. Hurd is our Community Support Worker. He helps to engage parents and provide meaningful and relevant community programming for parents. We have a nutrition program and free vision and hearing testing and subsequent service for selected students. We have partnerships with community agencies (e.g., Yorktown Family Services, Toronto Police Services, Unison Health Care, Toronto Public Health, York University Nursing Program, Ontario Early Years). We approach curriculum teaching through a lens of culturally responsive and relevant pedagogy to develop critical thinking skills and improved academic results.