Who we are…
What does the Ecole Dewson School Council do?
YOU are school council! All parents are welcome to join the council or simply attend meetings to listen, ask questions, voice concerns and possible solutions. Many parents have great ideas about what makes a good school, so why not put those ideas into action?
• The School Council is an excellent way for parents to: get involved in their child’s education, meet other parents, and contribute to the school community.
• The Council advises the principal and the School Board on a variety of issues and activities relating to student achievement, curriculum goals and priorities, school budget priorities, school safety, renovation plans, after-school activities and criteria for selection of new principals and vice-principals.
• The Ecole Dewson School Council is made up of an elected executive including two co-chairs, a treasurer and secretary, as well as volunteer committee representatives. It also includes the Principal and staff representatives.
• Some of the committees currently active at Dewson include: Arts and Culture; Eco-Schools and Greening; Dance-a-thon; Movie Night; Festival, Communications .
• The School Council also coordinates school fundraising activities and allocates the funds generated from these activities. The Dewson Festival and Dance-a-thon are the major fundraising events. As well, the school alternates yearly between Terry Fox and Kids Help Line fall fundraisers. Dewson has a partnership with Pencils for Kids , a not-for-profit project supporting a school in Liboré Niger, initiated through a Dewson parent.
• Involvement in the School Council is initiated at the first meeting of the year , held in September. Elections are held and parents come forward to volunteer to represent or to take part in one of the committees.
School councils are an excellent way for parents to get involved in their child`s education. Our school has an elected school council that is an important forum for involving all members of the school community in issues that affect the education of students. The school council is made up of an elected committee of parents, staff and student representatives, appointed community members, the principal, and a general membership which includes all parent of children attending the school. The school council advises the principal on a variety of issues and activities relating to student achievement, curriculum goals and priorities, school budget priorities, school safety, renovation plans, after school activities, and criteria for selection of new principals. For more information about school councils, click here.