Hollycrest MS will be holding a School Council meeting on Monday, November 16th, 2020 at 4 p.m. virtually. We will meet 4 times throughout the year as a School Council. Here are the dates for the 2020/2021 school year: November 16th, 2020 @ 4 p.m., February 22nd, 2021 @ 4 p.m., April 12th, 2021 @ 4 p.m., and May 17th, 2021 @ 4 p.m. Please email us at HollycrestMS@tdsb.on.ca for link if you are interested in joining us at School Council this year.
Parents who are interested in serving as an executive member of our School Council are asked to nominate themselves for the executive positions. Please review the descriptions of these positions and access our nomination form through this link https://forms.gle/pi3Kb4Ukb6RCehtX8 if you are interested.
The nomination form is now available with nominations due by noon on Friday, October 30th, 2020.
Roles of School Council executive
Note: a person employed by the board cannot be a Chair or co‐Chair of School Council
The Chair of the School Council shall:
- establish and communicate a School Council meeting schedule for the year, in consultation with the principal
- prepare the agenda for the meetings
- chair all council meetings and have general supervision of the operations of the council
- in consultation with the principal develop rules of order for the meetings, if required
- attend and participate in information and training sessions
- participate, as an ex‐officio member, of all committees established by School Council
- facilitate collaborative decision‐making
- be responsible for making public statements on behalf of the School Council
- ensure that School Council members are aware of their responsibility to behave ethically and responsibly at all times, to adhere to the council’s code of ethics and to disclose conflicts of interest, where they exist
- ensure regular communication occurs between the council and the school community
- consult with senior Board staff and trustees, as required
- review and approve the School Council category reports and any other financial records of School Council
- communicate regularly with the school principal and involve him/her in the planning of all School Council activities and/or initiatives that will involve or impact on the school staff or students
The secretary of the School Council shall:
- ensure that full and accurate minutes of the council meetings are recorded, maintained, reported and available at each meeting
- verify and record all consensus or voted decisions of the council
- ensure that the minutes of the council meetings are available in the school office for parents and guardians of the students enrolled at the school
- maintains list of all attendees at each meeting and includes list of council members present in the minutes
- send minutes to the principal and Chair for review/approval within two weeks of the meeting. Once the minutes have been approved by the principal and Chair, the secretary will distribute them prior to the next meeting/the Chair will distribute them through the School Council email address to council meetings prior to the next meeting. Minutes will be approved by council before being made available to the school community. Minutes will be available in the school office and on the school website.