Historical Background of Lord Lansdowne
The original school was build on Spadina Cresent in 1887. It was named Lansdowne Public School in honour of the Marquis of Lansdowne, Governor-General of Canada from 1883 to 1888. Additions were built in 1889, 1909 and 1913.
On February 23, 1914, the building was damaged by fire, which required a partial rebuilding program.
In 1960, the board acquired proberty on Robert Street for a new School. Building operations commenced February 1960, the cornerstone was laid November 16, 1960 and the building was officially opened on December 6, 1961. This new building was believed to be one of the most modern schools in Canada at the time.
On completion of the new school in 1961, the original building on Spadina Crescent was demolished. In 1967, the name of the school was officially changed to Lord Lansdowne Public School.
The "Lansdowne Rock"
This basic igneous boulder was found at a depth of twelve feet during the course of excavation for this school.
The composition is a very rare type and is assumed to have been carried here from Caribou Lake, north of Parry Sound, by a glacier during the great ice age approximately twelve thousand years ago.