IRC Information Items for Wednesday Mail-Outs - Jan.20th:
1. IRC Movie Night and Grade 6 Graduation meeting- tonight at 6:00 p.m. (Please see attachment)
2. P.A. Day- Friday January 22nd- There is no school for students this Friday. The YMCA program will run as scheduled at IRC on Friday.
3. Downtown Alternative School- Open House Jan.21st @ 6:00 p.m. (Flyer attached)
4. Information about Immunization (Attachment on how to report immunization)
5. IRC Beach Day- Friday January 29th (Flyer attached)
6. IRC Library Update:
Forest of Reading:
All of our classes have started participation in the Forest of Reading - Canada’s largest literary event for young readers. IRC is enrolled in both the Blue Spruce (K-2) and Silver Birch (3-6) categories. Students in Grades 3-6 have joined a new Silver Birch WeRead Classroom on their Google Drive. Please encourage them to be a part of the discussions online about what they’re reading. For our Grades 1-2 students, ask them to be the judge and rate the books they read at school and at home. Our JKSK students are using the ‘thumbs up’ ratng scale (2 thumbs up = This book is awesome!; 1 thumb up = This book is great!; 1 thumb sideways = This book is okay.; thumbs down = I didn’t like this book.) Lastly, student book reviews will be available at irclibrary.blogspot.ca
New Programs in the Library starting Wednesday, January 20th:
Grade 3 and 4 students are welcome to come every morning recess to the WeRead club for the Silver Birch awards. We will start reading End of the Line. Students find out how young Beatrix manages a difficult situation in Amsterdam. Ms. Greenwood is looking forward to sharing this novel with the WeRead club.
Grade 5 and 6 students are welcome to come every afternoon recess to The Hangout in the library. Students might do some coding at the lab, read a novel, catch up on some research or simply hang out and sketch.
Ms. Greenwood is in need of 1-2 parent volunteers for help with reshelving of books. With all of our other activities going on, an extra pair of hands goes a long way!