Next School Council Meeting: March 3rd, 2021 at 7:00pm
Georges Vanier Secondary School Council – Who does What
(Roles and Responsibilities)
Parents have the opportunity to run for positions on their School Council and to vote. Any parent is welcome to attend and to run. No experience is necessary but lots of skills can be gained by joining the council. Anyone who runs for office must be a parent and commit to attending the monthly School Council meetings.
This year’s positions are:
Chair / Co-Chair
The chair (or co-chair if this role is shared) acts as the primary representative of the School Council and leads the School Council meetings. The chair/co-chair will:
- arrange for meetings;
- prepare agendas;
- chair council meetings;
- ensure that minutes of council meetings are recorded and maintained;
- encourage consensus among School Council members & facilitate the resolution of conflict;
- communicate with the school principal on behalf of the council.
Skills you can gain: presentation, public speaking, mediation, leadership, confidence, organizational, and empowerment/mentoring skills.
The secretary records and distributes meeting minutes. The secretary will:
- record the meetings and type up the minutes
- make note of actions promised and planned
- distribute the minutes to the chair, co-chair, and principal
- post the minutes, once approved in a public place for the parents and staff to read
Skills you can gain: listening, speed writing, organizational, and accountability skills.
Parent Representative (2 members at large)
The parent representatives are voting members who:
- participate on any committees established by the school council;
- contribute to the discussions of the school council;
- solicit the views of other parents and members of the community to share with the school council;
Skills you can gain: presentation, leadership, confidence, organizational, and mentoring skills.