April 18, 2018
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We had a challenging start to our day today. After our caretaking staff arrived very early this morning, they discovered a distinct smell of gas in the basement and first floor of the main building. Woodfield building was not affected and no odour was detected. Staff quickly determined that this was due to four canisters of gasoline stored in the basement by contractors who are working at the school. These canisters were immediately removed and sawdust placed in the small and contained area where there was some spillage, which also contributed to the odour. The sawdust effectively soaked up any spillage and has now also been removed.
Staff used fans and opened windows throughout the main building, and the odour has since dissipated significantly, which will allow us to begin our day as usual. I want to commend our outstanding caretaking staff for promptly addressing this issue and working to ready the school for entry this morning. We sincerely appreciate their quick attention and thorough effort. We will be following up with both TDSB staff and contractors about storage procedures.
As always, thanks for your support and understanding and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.