A brief history

Greenland's roots can be traced to early pioneers who settled in this area.

In 1837 the first Don School was built for the area on land owned by Alexander Milne.  It was a log building located on Don Mills Road one mile north of Lawrence.  In 1853 a brick building was built on the southeast corner of Lawrence and Don Mills.  A third school was built in the same location as the second in 1925. 

With the development of the Don Mills community the population began to grow at an incredible rate in the 1950's. As more families moved into the area more schools were needed. Greenland School was organized in September 1955, but continued to hold classes in the Don School until the new building was completed.

In January 1956 Greenland Public School was opened as part of Don Mills, the first planned community in Toronto.