Are you finding that in today’s hyper-competitive market place Canadian experience is often a pre-requisite for obtaining that all-important job? Too many new immigrants, no matter what their previous educational training, cannot get a job at all and if they do it is often not related to their background or credentials. CanEX can also give you the opportunity to explore a career to make sure you are making the right choice for your future.
Let CALC’s CanEx Co-op program provide you with the Canadian work experience you need as well as class time to obtain Canadian school credits.
The CanEX Co-op is an 18 week full-time program offering in-school classes and a volunteer work placement to help you get the Canadian experience you need.
The CanEX Co-op Program
• Two terms - 18 weeks
• Pre-placement period, in class daily attendance at CALC for in-school courses
• Balance of program: on-the-job unpaid placement in career related field, 4 days/week and one day in class
• Up to six credits can be earned depending on work completed and hours worked
The CanEX Co-op Requirements
• Admitted to CALC
• Assessed for ESL Level DO or better
• Able to attend full day (up to 8 hours daily)
• Interview with co-op department
• Some special requirements for specific placements
The CanEX Co-op Costs
• $30 Student Activity Fee
• Once accepted into the program, $100 refundable materials fee
The CanEx Co-op Registration Procedure
1. Come to one of the Information/Registrations sessions listed by date. Please note that these sessions are added continuously so please make sure to check on the 'Registration Dates" tab regularly.
2. Complete the assessment for your English level.
3. Complete all information forms fully.
4. Bring the following documents (photocopies):
• refugee claimant papers (indicating a valid study permit)/Citizenship/landed immigrant papers
• health card
• proof of residence (eg. driver’s licence, bank statement, utility bill)
• draft resume
• current timetable (if already registered at CALC)
5. Once the English level has been determined, you will have a short interview with one of the CanEx teachers.