SCHOOL YEAR BEGINS TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2016!
Grades 1 to 6 students & kindergarten students with siblings should be ready to board the 8:30 a.m. ferry
Kindergarten students without siblings will board the 9:00 a.m. ferry.
- Parents, if you are driving please park your car in the visitor parking area of the Harbour Square Buildings just over the hill from where you meet your children. This is a courtesy so please only park for pick up and drop off. Pedestrian and motor vehicles are not allowed along the lane to the east of the docks.
Our kindergarten students will arrive in the city at approximately 3:55 p.m. and our Grades 1 - 6 will dock in the city at approximately 4:25 p.m. In the Fall, Spring and Summer the Island docks are very busy with visitors. Please be on time to meet your children when the boat docks. Young children become very anxious if they cannot see their parents, especially with so many tourists disembarking from the ferry. The ferry dock staff has asked me to remind parents that they are not to board the ferry with their children in the morning. We have boat/bus escorts who will accompany your children.
Bicycling or Walking - September 21st to October 9th
Walking/Biking permission forms are only available for our Gr. 3-6 students.
- Students in Gr. 3 may bike to and from the ferry docks.
- Students in Gr. 4 - 6 may walk or bike to and from the ferry docks.
- All forms must be signed before students can participate in this activity, and once signed are good for the school year.
- All students must have a buddy to travel with while biking or walking, and most importantly wear a helmet if biking.
- When signing the permission form, please be aware that the TDSB does not provide supervision nor is it responsible for children while cycling or walking. Please ask your child to get a form from the office.
- Student safety is our number one priority.
- We ask your cooperation in helping us with Safe Arrival. Please telephone the school at 393-1910 if your child is not attending on any day (sick or appointment).
- It is also important for you to telephone the school if you need to change your child’s transportation arrangements.
- If your child is late and must travel across independent of the supervised time, please contact the school to make arrangements for a bus pick up.
- Children MUST be 10 years of age (Grade 5) to travel alone on the ferry.
- We understand that children have to return to the city for appointments and we will do our best to accommodate these occasions.
Ferry Closures/Freeze Overs
Ferry closures due to inclement weather usually happen at the last moment, providing little time to communicate.
- Please check the Ferry Docks Info. Line 416-392-8194 or the school @ 416-393-1910.
- If we have advance notice, we will post the information on our web page at schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/island, Twitter at IPS_Mr_Woolford; and through Parent Email List provided to the school by parents.
- More information regarding Island Public School Severe Weather Procedures webpage dropdown.