are legislated bodies, governed by Regulation 612 of the Ontario Education Act
. School Council and all of those who attend School Council meetings and activities shall adhere to these regulations, as well as the policies and the procedures of the Toronto District School Board, including but not limited to P031 – Human Rights Policy, P037 – Equity Policy, P034 – Workplace Harassment, Prevention for Non-Human Rights Code Harassment Policy, P051 – Caring and Safe Schools Policy and PR585 – Board Code of Conduct.
Regulation 612/00 of the Ontario Education Act states that “the purpose of School Councils is, through the active participation of parents, to improve student achievement and enhance the accountability of the education system to parents.”
A School Council's primary means of achieving its purpose is by making recommendations on any matter to the Principal of the school and to the Board that established the School Council.
2023-2024 Island Public School Council
- Co-Chairs: Samira Zarghami and Abi Wren
- Treasurer: Jen Yeung
- Secretary: Jennie Lai
- Events Chair: Jeff Kearns
- Parent Representatives
- Principal: Gary Pieters
- Teacher: TBD
- Support Staff: TBD
- Community: TBD
- Ward 9 and PIAC Rep: TBD
2023-2024 School Council Meeting Dates
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023 - 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm via Zoom
- Tuesday, November 7 - 6:30pm - Zoom
- Monday, December 4 - 4.15pm - Waterpark Place
- Tuesday, January 9 - 6.30pm - Zoom
- Tuesday, February 6 - 4.15pm - TBC (Waterpark Place or One Yonge)
- Tuesday, March 5 - 6.30pm - Zoom
- Tuesday, April 9 - 4.15pm - TBC (WIA)
- Tuesday, May 7 - 6.30pm - Zoom
- Tuesday, June 4 - 6.30pm - Zoom
2023-2024 Meeting Agendas and Minutes
2023-2024 School Council Election Information
- Monday, August 28 - School Council Election Information, Timelines; Nomination Form and Election Procedures sent to all parents/guardians/caregivers
- Monday, September 11 - Nomination Close. The Nomination Form must be submitted to the principal either before due date, or before 2:00 pm on Monday, September 11.
- Tuesday, September 12 - Listing of Candidates made public. Please click on the link to view the 2023-2024 IPS School Council Candidates
- Thursday, September 14 - ELECTION DAY. If there are 80 or less names put forth, then the nominees will be acclaimed. If there are more than 80 nominees, the election will be held in-person at Island Public/Natural Science School at 4:00 pm
- Friday, September 15 - School Council Parent Representatives Announced
- Tuesday, October 3rd, 6:30 pm (by Zoom). Date changed from Thursday, October 5th due to Curriculum Night on the same date - EXECUTIVE ELECTION. At the first School Council Meeting the election of Executives, including Chair; Co-Chair; Secretary; and Treasurer, will take place. | Executive Roles and Description Accessible Here
- Tuesday, October 10 - School Council Executive Announced
School Council Bylaw and Election Procedures
School Council Financials 2017-2018 to 2022-2023
The published school council financials are reflective of funds provided by IPS school council to purchase school and classroom level wish list items for 5 calendar school years from 2017-2018 to 2021-2022. These were distributed by School Messenger to parents and families on May 25, 2023.
An effective School Council relies on the contributions of the broader school community. The School Council will work to elect/acclaim members who are representative of this school's community. To this end, eligible candidates will be encouraged to seek office regardless of their race, colour, creed, culture, ethnicity, linguistic origin, disability, level of ability, socio-economic class, age, ancestry, nationality, place of origin, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, body image, citizenship, immigration status, family status, marital status or as First Nations, Metis or Inuit.
The first meeting of the School Council will take place within the first 35 days of the start of the school year after the election, on a date set by the Principal, in consultation with the Chair/Co-Chair(s). A School Council shall meet at least 4 times in the school year. The dates for School Council meetings will be set at the first meeting, in consultation with the Principal. The Principal, on behalf of the School Council, will give written notice of the dates, the times and the location(s) of the meetings to every parent/caregiver of a student enrolled at the school.
School Council Mission Statement
To enhance communication, create Involvement, foster community, and provide fundraising support to Island Public/Natural Science School
Please visit the website at: http://ipsschoolcouncil.com/
Meeting Dates 2022-2023:
- Wednesday, October 19, 2022 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm (RBC Waterpark Place)
- Thursday, February 2, 2023 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm via Zoom
- Thursday, May 4, 2023 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm via Zoom
- Thursday, May 25, 2023 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm via Zoom