CO-OP INFORMATION & REGISTRATION
For classes commencing in Quad 4 (Tuesday April 21st , 2020)
we will be hosting an Information & Registration session at 12:40 pm on Thursday February 27th, 2020 (room 112)
Are you finding that in today’s hyper-competitive market place Canadian experience is often a pre-requisite for obtaining that all-important job? Too many new immigrants, no matter what their previous educational training, cannot get a job at all and if they do it is often not related to their background or credentials. Career Connection / CanEX Co-op can also give you the opportunity to explore a career to make sure you are making the right choice for your future.
Let CALC’s Career Connection / CanEX Co-op program provide you with the Canadian work experience you need as well as class time to obtain Canadian school credits.
The Career Connection / CanEX Co-op is an 18 week full-time program offering in-school classes and a volunteer work placement to help you get the Canadian experience you need.
The Career Connection /
Pre-placement period, in class daily attendance at CALC for in-school course
Balance of program: on-the-job unpaid placement in career related field.
Up to six credits can be earned towards a Secondary School Diploma
The Career Connection / CanEX Co-op Requirements
- Admitted to CALC
- Assessed for ESL Level DO or better
- Able to attend full day (up to 8 hours daily)
- Interview with co-op department
- Some special requirements for specific placements
The Career Connection / CanEX Co-op Costs
- $30 Student Activity Fee
- Transportation to school and placement
The Career Connection / CanEX Co-op Registration Procedure:
- Come to one of the Information/Registrations sessions listed by date. Please note that these sessions are added continuously so please make sure to check on the 'Registration Dates" tab regularly.
- Complete the assessment for your English level.
- Complete all information forms fully.
- Bring the following documents (photocopies):
•refugee claimant papers (indicating a valid study permit)/Citizenship/landed immigrant papers
•proof of residence (eg. driver’s licence, bank statement, utility bill)
•current timetable (if already registered at CALC)
5. Once the English level has been determined, you will have a short interview with one of the CanEx teachers.