New PSW Students Quad 3
For those interested in Quad 3 entry, please check back on this website on Tuesday, December 8th, 2020. The Registration Questionnaire link will be available at that time. Please note, the prerequisite for this program is ENG3C or higher. Interested students may wish to attend Quad 2 in the regular program to upgrade their English or acquire the pre-requisite.
Returning PSW Students for Quad 3
Students who began the program but left and wish to re-enter in Q2 should complete this form. It is only for students who already have one or more credits in the program. Returning Students click here Students will be contacted on or before November 6th, 2020.
"Recognition and Advanced Standing"
Employed PSW students may apply their work toward their PSW Certification practicum requirements. Employed PSW Students click here
Certification requirements for Employed CALC PSW Students are:
- Successful completion of the theory portion of the program, 540 classroom hours.
- Employment as a PSW with evidence for a minimum of 300 hours of work.
- Successful completion of all clinical expectations listed in the Skills Book, must be signed off by a registered nurse at the employment site and verified.
- Successful demonstration of clinical skills to a CALC nurse/teacher either in the workplace or in a simulation provided at our lab at CALC.
Personal Support Worker programs offer through Ontario School Boards:
The Personal Support Worker Program is for students who:
- Want to make a difference in people’s lives
- Dream of joining the growing field of healthcare workers
- Want a dynamic career taking care of, and empowering, people of all ages
- Enjoy seeing people increase their independence,
- Promote self-esteem, dignity and social interaction
- Aid clients of varying ages with basic physical needs and personal hygiene
- Assist with shopping, meal planning and preparation
- Assist with light housekeeping and keeping clients' environment clean, safe and secure.
- Contribute to client independence, self-esteem, dignity and social integration
- Assist with medication support for clients’ families
As a Personal Support Worker, you may work in a variety of healthcare settings:
- Private Homes
- Nursing Homes
- Homes For Older Adults
- Hospices And Hospitals
- Community Centres
- Public School System
- Group Homes
- Day care settings for the elderly
Our Program is accredited and follows all the PSW Vocational Learning Outcomes, Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and Guidelines of the Ministry of Health Long Term Care:
- Individuality, Role and Interpersonal Skills
- Assisting the Family
- Safety, Abuse and Assisting a Person with Mobility
- Cognitive Impairment and Mental Health Issues
- Household Management and Meal Preparation
- Managing Ongoing Conditions
- Providing Optimal Support and Care Planning
- Assisting With Medications
- Personal Hygiene
- Assisting a Person who is Dying
CALC’s PSW Program enables you to fulfill your dream. In just 27 weeks, you can:
- Earn a Personal Support Worker Certificate
- Acquire the skills and knowledge to work as a personal support worker
- Gain practical experience in a healthcare environment
- Be granted 9 credits towards your secondary school diploma:
Part 1 in school theory: TPJ3C1, TPJ2O1, HHD3O1
Part 2 in school theory: TOJ4C1 (double credit), TPJ4E1
Part 3 placement portion: TOJ4CC (double credit), TPJ4ES *Transcripts are incomplete for students attending practicum placement in April, May and June, 2020 due to the Covid 19 pandemic. Measures are in place for completion, once restrictions have been lifted.
Prerequisites for PSW Program:
- Be 21 years old or older at the time of application. Students 18 to 20 years may be considered but will need their Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
- Successful virtual and in-school English Assessment (or having a credit of ENG3C, English 11 College or highter)
- Successful interview with a CALC staff member prior to practicum placement.
- A police reference check for the vulnerable sector and immunizations are required. The application process starts in class and is guided by the teacher.
- Status in Canada Documents: Citizenship Card, Birth Certificate, Canadian Passport, Landed Immigrant or PR Card or Convention Refugee Status + Study Permit or proof of application for a study permit. (CALC Settlement Workers are available to assist students) Health card, Most recent transcript and Proof of address.
There are three major components to this program:
Part 1: Theory courses: Monday-Friday; 8:30 a.m. 3:20 p.m. for 9 weeks
Part 2: Theory courses: Monday-Friday; 8:30 a.m. 3:20 p.m. for 9 weeks
Part 3: Out-of-school co-op placement in a healthcare setting: Monday-Friday; 7:00a.m.- 3:00p.m. for 9 weeks (hours may vary)
Program Costs are divided into 3 parts and are as follows:
#1 Registration Fees, $330 total: Student Activity fee ($30) Clinical Supervision fees ($300)
#2 PSW Program Package: Please note that students may purchase from a provider of their choice.
- Textbook (Mosbys Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker) + accompanying Workbook
- Toronto Public Health Food Handling Certificate course is to be announced. Listed below is the pricing, and links to the print, eBooks, Clinical Skills, and Student Evolve Resources. As mentioned, the 25% discount with code 70700 applies to the print, and eBook products.
#3 Additional costs, approximately $270:
- Immunizations, Medical Letter approximately $100.
- Vulnerable Police Record Check starting at $20 ($85 if finger prints are needed
- 2 sets of clinical uniforms, scrubs approximately $100
- Clinical Shoes, closed toe and heel, non-scuff soles approximately $50.
Graduates are eligible to register as PSWs with the Michener Institute's PSW Registry, University Health Network.