Gledhill Junior Public School (GR. JK-05)
"a great place to be"
“où il fait bon vivre”
"A Great place to be" for almost a century
In 1915, the Toronto Board of Education bought 6 acres of land on Gledhill Avenue near the dirt road that was Danforth Avenue. For two years, students were taught in two portables and then in 1917, almost 300 students started in a new Gledhill schoolhouse. By 1925, Gledhill grew to 30 classrooms. As the Danforth developed into a busy retail street, Gledhill peaked at 1200 students. With some changes to meet safety regulations, Gledhill retained its structure for almost 60 years. In 1983, the Terry Fox Recreation Centre opened. This addition, consisting of a large gym and a community room, reinforced Gledhill’s role as “a great place to be.”
Read More about Gledhill Junior Public School