The original building, demolished in 1958
The original school building was built in 1889 and was located in the current field on the north end of the property. The grand structure was three stories tall, with maple panelled rooms in and outside of the classrooms. Enrolment when the school opened on September 3, 1890 was 696 students. Following that, additions to the school were added in 1906 and 1910. As time progressed and enrolment continued to increase, the Annex building was constructed adding 6 more classes to the school, bringing the total to 23 classrooms.
The original building with the Annex building shown on the right.
In 1957, the present building was built just south of the original school. “The contemporary Huron School building, completed in 1957, was in contrast to the original: lower slung, brighter and more hospitable”(Batten, 2004). During the summer of 1958, the original building was demolished.
The "new" Huron Street PS building built in 1957
Currently, Huron Street Junior Public School enrols students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 6 with an enrolment of approximately 450 students and a staff of 45 people to help create our fantastic learning environment. There is also an on-site daycare facility for Kindergarten and school aged children.