SCHOOL YEAR BEGINS TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2019!
Grades 1 to 6 students should be ready to board the 8:30 a.m. ferry
Kindergarten students will board the 9:00 a.m. ferry.
- Parents, if you are driving please park your car in the visitor parking area of the Harbour Square Buildings just over the hill from where you meet your children. This is a courtesy so please only park for pick up and drop off. Pedestrian and motor vehicles are not allowed along the lane to the east of the docks.
Our Kindergarten students, Grade 6 students and their Siblings will arrive in the city at approximately 4:00 p.m. and our Grades 1 - 5 students will arrive in the city at approximately 4:25 p.m. In the Fall, Spring and Summer the Island docks are very busy with visitors. Please be on time to meet your children when the boat docks. Young children become very anxious if they cannot see their parents, especially with so many tourists disembarking from the ferry. The ferry dock staff has asked me to remind parents that they are not to board the ferry with their children in the morning. We have boat/bus escorts who will accompany your children.
City-side Students are surpervised by Student Travel Safety Assistants until 4:30 p.m.
All IPS Parent(s)/Guardian(s) are reminded to carry & show to ferry personal the Parent Card September 2019 which will allo temporary access to the Jack Layton Ferry Docks fare-paid zone.
Bicycling or Running - September 16th to October 10th
- Walking/Biking permission forms are only available for our Gr. 3-6 students.
- Students in Gr. 3 may only bike to and from the ferry docks.
- Students in Gr. 4 - 6 may run or bike to and from the ferry docks.
- All forms must be signed before students can participate in this activity. In the Spring, another form will be required to be signed to particiapte.
- All students must have a buddy to travel with while biking or running, and most importantly MUST wear a helmet if biking.
- When signing the permission form, please be aware that the TDSB does not provide supervision nor is it responsible for children while cycling or running. Please ask your child to get a form from the office.
- Student safety is our number one priority.
- We ask your cooperation in helping us with Safe Arrival. Please telephone the school at 393-1910 if your child is not attending on any day (sick or appointment).
- It is also important for you to telephone the school if you need to change your child’s transportation arrangements.
- If your child is late and must travel across independent of the supervised time, please contact the school to make arrangements for a school bus pick up.
- Children MUST be 10 years of age (Grade 5) to travel alone on the ferry.
- We understand that children have to return to the city for appointments and we will do our best to accommodate these occasions.
Ferry Closures/Freeze Overs
- Ferry closures due to inclement weather usually happen at the last moment, providing little time to communicate.
- Please check the Ferry Docks Info. Line 416-392-8194 or the school @ 416-393-1910.
- If we have advance notice, we will post the information in the following ways:
- More information regarding Island Public School Severe Weather Procedures webpage dropdown.