Our history dates back to 1889 when we were known as Hamilton Street School. In 1904, that building was destroyed by fire. Children attended school in the Sunday school classrooms of neighbouring churches until the new school was built on our present site. Queen Alexandra School was officially opened on December 1, 1905 and was named for the Queen of England at that time - Queen Alexandra.
The old building, on Broadview Avenue, was built in 1905 and demolished in 1956. The grounds were enlarged, and the Queen Alexandra Annex was added in 1918. This brought the number of classrooms to 45. The Annex is still standing and is now part of Dundas Public School and First Nations School at Dundas Street East and Boulton Avenue.
The new building was opened in 1957, and Queen Alexandra became a senior school. The corner stone contains a time capsule.
A new wing was added in 1969, and in 1978 part of the wing was converted for use by the Superintendents' Area 4 Office staff. In 1980, Area 5 Offices also moved into the school and in that summer the school yard was landscaped In the early stages of our history, there were multiple grade arrangements for classes. In 1959, Queen Alexandra became a strictly senior school with only
grades 7 and 8. Finally in 1969, we became a middle school with grades 6, 7,
and 8. This was the first and only middle school in the former Toronto Board of Education.
We are proud of our history and invite you to visit our school. The permanent historical display of writings, drawings, and photographs are on the second floor.
Queen Alexandra (1844 - 1925)
Born in Copenhagen, the second child of King Christian IX of Denmark. In 1866, she was betrothed to the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII). The wedding took place in St. George's Chapel, Windsor on March 10, 1863. At the time of her wedding she became the Princess of Wales until the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1902. They had 5 children, two sons and three daughters, King George V (reigned from 1910-1936). Queen Alexandra was the great grandmother to our current H.M.H. Queen Elizabeth II. Queen Alexandra died in 1925 at Sandringham in her eighty-first year, and is commemorated by an annual Alexandra Rose Day that raises money for hospitals. Queen Alexandra is resting at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England.
Principals of Queen Alexandra Public School
1895-1925 John Wallis
1926-1930 Frank M. Scott
1931-1951 Waddington Mason
1952-1955 Daniel Mewhort
1956-1958 James E. Laughlin
1959-1962 Lorne M. Shaw
1963-1968 Sydney J. Burchell
1969-1982 William Buddenhagen
1983-1988 Murray Anderson
1988-1992 Lorna Campbell
1993-1999 Michael Dowler
1999-2001 Linda Campbell
2001-2007 Hana Maire
2007-2010 Linda Perez / Dori Mould (acting)
2010-2012 Lisa Handiak
2013-present Emma Nichols
WWI & WWII
Queen Alexandra Middle School honours our fallen graduates from WWI and WWII.
Plaques are displayed in our front lobby.