QUEEN ALEXANDRA M.S.
We have great news to share! At a recent Board meeting, a decision was made by the Board of Trustees to EXTEND the phase out period of the Grade 7 Late Extended French. Originally this year was the last year for late start extended French. The new phase out timelines allow for two more cohorts of the program, with the last cohort to begin the Grade 7 Late Extended French program in September 2022.
This means that there will be an application process this year will be between January 4 - January 31, 2021 for students wishing to enter these programs in September 2021. Please share with grade 6 parents in area schools. We will also send this information to our feeder school offices.
This information has been updated on the public website at the link below:
More detailed information will follow in early December in regards to the application process and family information sessions (virtual).
Extended French Applications (Due January 31, 2021)
Please contact the school for a copy of the application (416-393-9535) or at the following website: https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Elementary-School/School-Choices/French-Programs/Application-Process/Intermediate-Extended-French
Application forms for the late start Extended French program will be posted on this site soon. All application documentation must be received at QueenAlexandraMS@tdsb.on.ca (by January 31st at the latest).
How do I determine the Middle French Immersion/Junior Extended French school for my area?
Can my child attend a Middle French Immersion or Junior Extended French program in a school other than the one associated with our home address?
- If a family wishes to attend a Middle French Immersion or Junior Extended French program at a school other than the one designated for their home address, the parents/guardians may apply directly to the school via the Optional Attendance procedure prior to the Optional Attendance deadline.
- For information regarding the Optional Attendance procedure, including forms, please click on the link:
- Please submit the Optional Attendance form directly to the Principal (within the timelines specified on the form) at the school you wish your child to attend.
For more information see: https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Elementary-School/School-Choices/French-Programs/French-as-a-Second-Language-FSL-Programs
Optional Attendance Applications (for English homerooms) are due February 2021. We have very limited Optional Attendance availability.
Optional Attendance Form can be found here:
Other News: School Cash Online is here! :)
Get registered at https://tdsb.schoolcashonline.com/
It's secured, fast, convenient and fun.
Pay for school trips - Quebec City, Toronto Urban Studies Centre (TUSC), Ski Trip and Island School etc.
Pay for School Gym Uniforms, School Spirit wear, locks and so much more.
Parents want the best education for their children. Our goal is to provide your family with a positive learning environment, with a variety of programs and services that promote outstanding student achievement.
Parents are children's first and life-long teachers. We value the partnership between home and school and know that parental involvement is the key to success in school. You can be involved by helping your child with homework, volunteering in our school, or joining our school council. By welcoming you and providing opportunities for you to be involved, we can work together to ensure that our students receive the very best education.
Visit the links on this page to find more information on a variety of subjects.
Start of School Important Information
For all students, there will be some costs involved in September. These include agendas and locks and the QA Gym Uniform.
- A reminder that the school locks are of good quality and are guaranteed. Key locks are not acceptable and many commercial combination locks are not of adequate quality. Locks purchased elsewhere will not be replaced by the school.
- This year many classes are using Google Classroom instead of Agendas. You will still need it throughout the school year for organizing your deadlines, reading important information and for our character education program activities.
- All Queen "A" students are required to purchase a school gym uniform to wear for class and school related sports activities. Your gym teachers will be organizing for these as they meet your class in gym time.
Start a Family Home InBox for Forms and other information sent home requiring your attention, signatures etc.
TDSB has a new Elementary School Safe Arrival Program - School Messenger as its automated call-out system which went live in June 2018. In accordance with the TDSB Safe Arrival policy PR707A, "If a pupil is absent or late for any reason, the Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must contract the school immediately to report the reason for the absence". For an unexplained absence, Parents/Guardians will be contacted by SchoolMessenger and must indicate the reason for the absence.
The telephone number 833-250-2290 will display on the caller ID.
For unexplained absences, the system call-out will work as follows:
- Parents/Guardians identified in the TDSB's student database who have access to student records and are an emergency contact with priority 1 or 2 will receive both e-mail notification and call(s) of the unexplained absence.
- When you receive the call, you are required to listen to the entire message and follow the prompts accordingly.
- You will be asked if you are aware or unaware of your child's absence.
- If unaware, you will be asked to call the school immediately at 416-393-9535.
- If you are aware of the absence, you will be asked to enter the reason for your child's absence. Reasons are the same for full day absences (new to School Messenger) or late arrival. The following options will be provided for you:
- Doctor Appointment
- Dentist Appointment
- Family Matter
- For a late arrival, you will be prompted to enter a time of arrival. Once the child signed in at the school office, the absence will be changed to a late (provided they arrive prior to the lunch hour).
- At the end of the message, you will have to press 2 to confirm you received the message.
- If you do not confirm receipt, you will receive a call on other phone numbers provided with the exception of business numbers.
- If there is no response from a Priority 1 or Priority 2, this same process will be followed for Priority 2, this entire process will be repeated 3 times in 10 minutes intervals or until call-out time is over (approx. 25 mins).
- A confirmation e-mail will be sent to both Priority 1 and Priority 2 contacts with the reason selected by on of the Parents/Guardians.
The same process will be followed for the afternoon attendance.
In the evening, all Parents/Guardians of students who were lates (without a reason) that day will receive a call informing them of their child's tardiness.
With this in mind, it is important that your contact information on file at the office is up-to-date. Please let the office know immediately if your contact information changes at any time throughout the school year.
We recognize that regular attendance is essential to the safety, academic success, and well-being of all students.
Thank you for your continued cooperation with keeping your child safe and accounted for.
The Ontario Ministry of Education requires a letter in writing from the parent/guardian when they are planning a vacation during the school year. This letter should contain the beginning and returning dates covering the absence. The letter should be handed into the main school office before the vacation. The original will be placed in the students file and a copy will be made for the homeroom teacher.
Student Accident Insurance
The Toronto District School Board does not provide accident insurance coverage for student injuries that occur on school premises or during school sponsored activities. Read more about supplementary coverage.