Dear Birch Cliff families
We hope you had a nice long weekend and although it seems very strange not to be welcoming our students back into the building today, we are happy to have the time to work out staffing, class lists and our school specific Covid-protocols.
We have a long, detailed update to follow later in the week when we have all of our specifics worked out but for now here are a few of the most pressing details that we know families are eager to hear. Again we thank you for your patience; there were changes happening quite frequently over the past two weeks and to avoid confusion, we wanted to wait to ensure clarity.
First off we want to reassure you that after months out of the building, our top priority in all cases is student, staff and community safety. This will be the lens that we look at all things through and base our decisions on as we go forward. Next we are focussed on student connections, relationships and mental health. This has been a difficult time for all and our staff are looking to use the first few weeks of school to ensure that students feel connected to each other and the staff, even though we are cohorted and socially distanced.
Below are the safety based protocols we have put in place:
- signage in all hallways and our many stairwells to ensure one directional flow on each side of hallways
- signage on all exterior doors indicating students & staff entry only; signage on the Main Entrance reminding of No Visitors without an appointment
- Screening posters at all entrances & for all teachers for use each day; we have even created a Covid Screening song to be played each morning for our younger classes (song attached - written by our own Ms. Ribble & Ms. Daniel & sung by Ms. Daniel)
- 3 bottle filling stations in use- water fountains disabled; students to sanitize before & after use
- explicit teaching of both hand washing & hand sanitizing
- hand washing breaks planned into the days; sanitizing upon all school entry & exit times & also classroom entry & exits- use of hand washing is preferred if possible
-TDSB to give 2 masks / student; please wash before wearing & ensure they are labelled (they are black so we are trying to get some metallic Sharpies / fabric labels would be perfect)
- please send an extra mask each day; school can supply some medical masks for lost ones
- masks will be collected by the teacher & put in individual paper bags at recess if students don't have a pocket / fanny pack / breakaway lanyard to store them
- yard is being blocked into learning areas for cohorts to learn and play in; drop off & pick up will likely occur in these areas to ensure staggered entries (more info to come this week)
- staff are planning to spend as much time outdoors each day, please send students ready to be outside- we will not be asking for indoor shoes for the month of September
- please see the attached Staggered Entry image for info about start date (we are column 3 - Kindergarten to grade 8)
Thanks so much; hope this quick update helps you and your family to prepare for the upcoming weeks. Please look for the Welcome Package note / email later this week. We will also be letting families know of their child(ren)s classroom placement by Friday, Sept 11th at the latest. This will occur via a School Messenger call out.
D. Selliah & H. Cairns
Welcome to our school website. As part of the Toronto District School Board, we value:
- each and every student and their success;
- a strong public education system;
- a close partnership of students, schools, family and community;
- the unique and diverse nature of our students, community, city and country;
- the commitment and skills of our staff;
- equity, innovation, accountability and accessibility;
- learning environments that are safe, nurturing, positive and respectful.
Public Health and Other Supports
Government of Canada - Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
Residents experiencing stress or crisis and requiring emotional support related to COVID-19 can access the following community resources:
Distress Centre of Greater Toronto
- Call 416-408-4357, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Text 45645 between 4 p.m. and midnight
- Translation is available in many languages for crisis calls only
Kids Help Phone
- Call 1-800-668-6868 or text CONNECT to 686868, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Service is available in English and French
- Gerstein Crisis Centre
416- 929-5200, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Translation is available in many languages
Our web site is one way we can demonstrate these values. Click on the menu items to find out more about our school and please visit often.
WALK TO SCHOOL WEDNESDAYS
We are hoping that you will join us in Walking to School on Wednesday April 3rd. Walk, ride or roll! We will be keeping track of every child that does not use motorized transportation to get to school on Wednesdays. We realize that some children due to distance, program or physical limitations must be driven to school, so the goal will be school wide and not single any student or class out. We want to encourage everyone who can to come to school walking or riding safely. Once we have collected our initial data the goal for the school will be shared with all and we hope that you will join us by participating in Walk to School Wednesdays!! If the school reaches its’ goal there will be a special treat for all students of BC in the last week of June!
Birch Cliff PS is a PROUD supporter of the Bluffs Food Bank. Donations are accepted daily!