Withrow Childcare Centre (WCC) provides a caring, stimulating and creative environment designed to motivate the children to develop emotionally, socially, intellectually, creatively and physically. The centre emphasizes respect for the child, healthy self-esteem, and a positive self-concept.
We are committed to providing excellent care and supporting children, parents and the staff. We strive to achieve a centre that is inclusive and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, culture, ability, nationality, or class. We are proactive in promoting acceptance, understanding, and valuing of differences.
WCC Program Statement
Registration for Kindergarten Before and Aftercare Information
If you child is entering kindergarten in September 2021 at Withrow Jr PS and you wish to add your child to the waitlist, please complete the FDK 2021 registration form and firstname.lastname@example.org
School-Age waitlist will be open as of March 1, 2021.
For more information, contact:
Anne Giltenan or Mary To, Supervisors
The Supervisors of the centre maintain a current waiting list of names of children needing a placement.
Admission into the centre will be based on the following priorities:
- Siblings of children presently in the centre (upon acceptance at Withrow Jr. Public School)
- Individuals living in the Withrow Jr. Public School catchment
- Those who have seniority on the waiting list
In order to maintain a balance of ages as well as the appropriate staff/child ratio, the child's age is considered before admitting.
Withrow Childcare Centre's philosophy on children's learning is to provide the children with a stimulating and supportive environment. The environment is designed to motivate the children to develop and to widen their mental and physical capabilities. Our philosophy focuses on the following components:
- Multicultural Based Curriculum
- Positive Guidance Strategies
- Emergent Curriculum – is a play-based programming style which emerges from the child’s interests, supporting them as they reach their developmental goals. The curriculum is planned through observations, documentation and using the ELECT Document.
The following must be completed before the child can be admitted to the centre:
- Registration forms
- A non-refundable deposit
- Medical form (Public Health)
- Emergency Information Card
Our school-age room is licensed to care for 75 children, Grades 1-5. All children enrolled in this program attend Withrow Jr. Public School.
Our preschool room provides 24 spaces for children, ages 2 1/2 to 4 (or until they enter Junior Kindergarten).
Full Day Kindergarten Before and After Care Program
Withrow Jr. Public School has a Full Day Kindergarten Program. Please use this 2021 FDK registration form for more information about the program and the registration form. If there is enough interest in the Before and After component (20 children) a program will be implemented and families will be contacted by the Centre. The staff:child ratio in the JK/SK program will be 1 RECE : 13 children to a maximum room number of 26.
The staff at WCC includes 1 Executive Director, 1 Supervisor, 15 Teachers and 1 part-time assistant. The staff:child ratio in the preschool room is 1 staff : 8 children as required by the Child Care and Early Years Act. The school-age ratio is met with 1 staff : 15 children.
Hours of Operation*
Preschool room - 5 days per week
7:30am - 6:00pm
7:30 - 8:45am
11:30am - 1:00pm
3:30 - 6:00pm
Full Day Kindergarten Before and After Program
7:30 - 8:45am
11:30am - 1:00pm
3:30 - 6:00pm
*Hours of operation may change due the pandemic
The school-age room and JK/SK rooms will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on all PA days. It will also remain open during the March Break, though an extra fee may be added. The school-age room is closed during the months of July and August for summer break.
How do we get on the waitlist?
If the waitlist is open, families can place their child on the waitlist by email email@example.com
Please include the following information in your email:
- Your name, address and contact phone number
- Your child's name and date of birth
- Preferred start date
The date and time on the email will trigger the order of placement on the list. You will be contacted by phone or email to confirm receipt of your request.
- If you are contacted regarding a space, you will be invited to visit the centre and meet with the Supervisor. You will have two days to accept or decline the spot.
- If you accept, you are required to give a non-refundable deposit of one half of one month's fees to secure your spot.
- If you decline the spot but wish to remain on the list, your name will be placed back on using the date you declined.
How are spots assigned?
If and when a child care space becomes available for a particular age group, the priority goes to:
Siblings of children presently at WCC
Children in the Withrow Jr. Public School catchment area with seniority on the waitlist
Children returning after parental leave
Children with seniority on the Out of District wait list
My child has been on the list for several years - why have we not been offered a spot?
The few spots that opened up were for children who were a different age than your child.
Siblings were given priority.
Your child's name was not at the top of the list when an available spot came up for that age group.
* If your child is not offered a spot when they are 2 or 3 years old, it becomes harder to get in due to limited openings for older children *
If I call the centre often to check my placement on the waitlist will I have a better chance of getting in earlier?
Please note: Although the Supervisor can tell you where you are on the list, it is important to note that your placement may change due to sibling/age priority.