Interested in current information on Post-Secondary Pathways information from Guidance at LPCI?
Join our Google-Classroom!!
Information about LP's Pathways Fair, OCAS & OUAC application notices and reminders, scholarship opportunities, awards, LPCI commencement, prom, and other post-secondary specific information and reminders will be distributed through the Google Classroom vehicle.
For information on Prestigious Scholarships and/or how to request LP's nomination, please read the general information, followed by specific information and timelines on those Scholarship Opportunities
Please consult these websites to get information about scholarships in general:
There are different categories of scholarships and awards: Scholarships and awards that are automatically awarded by a university or college if you have a sufficiently high average on your best six 4U/4M courses including the prerequisites for your program.You can access these by going to the OUAC website: www.electronicinfo.ca or by going to the university website and checking awards and bursaries.
There is also a group of selected scholarships from organizations or institutions who regularly send their information to L.P.C.I. such as the TD Canada Trust Scholarships for Outstanding Community leadership, The Loran Awards, and the RBC Royal Bank Financial Lifeskills scholarships. Major scholarships are announced via the Google Classroom site (invitation to join above). Scholarships and Awards may have very specific criteria to determine who would be eligible recipients, so read these individually and consider carefully if you are eligible to apply.
- For Scholarships and/or awards that require LPCI sponsorship or nomination, fill in all components of the application, print & deliver AND email the application with your notification of intention to apply to the scholarship to Janine.email@example.com, titled "Nomination Sought for ...". Do this for each scholarship or award you are requesting nomination for. Note the internal LPCI deadline as well as the institutional deadline. The committee will offer constructive criticism to short-listed students and support their applications.
- Registering by the deadline is important because, for several awards, candidates must be selected to represent the school. Please respect these timelines.
- The guidance counsellors, in committee and in consultation with teachers and administrators, shortlist candidates to determine who would best represent our school in cases where we can only send one or a handful of applicants per school.
- If your application requires a transcript, it must be an official, stamped transcript that you obtain from the guidance secretary.You should let her know that you need the transcript for a scholarship and whether the institution that requires it is inside or outside Ontario. Do NOT leave this to the final week.
Read the criteria for each scholarship carefully to determine if you are a suitable candidate.
- If an essay is involved in the application, be sure to address the statement required of you and ask others to read and critique your efforts.PROOFREAD, EDIT & POLISH
- Start working on your applications early.Rushed applications are easy to spot and rarely make the shortlist.
- When asking teachers for a reference, make an appointment with them, bring the scholarship application and information and discuss how you meet the criteria.Also, bring your resume so that they can see all of the activities that you are involved in outside of school.
- The most effective reference tends to come from teachers that are familiar with your academic work as well as your involvement in outside activities.Ask teachers at least two weeks in advance in order to help ensure enough lead time.
- Express your enthusiasm, passion, organizational skills and civic spirit, among other desirable qualities, by using action verbs that will be suitable for pointing out your accomplishments.
- Remember that the scholarship selection committee members do not know you.To them you are an applicant on paper.You must use the paper application to stand out from the crowd. The following features may keep you from being on the short list of scholarship applicants: i) reference letters or essays that do not reflect the specific criteria required for the scholarship ii) a reference letter or essay or application that contains errors (i.e. it does not refer to the correct scholarship or university or has spelling/grammar errors). **Apply early, your work on one application is often applicable to other applications **Keep applying throughout the year!
Prestigious Scholarships THESE REQUIRE AN APPLICATION THROUGH LP GUIDANCE FOR NOMINATION:
UofT Book Award https://future.utoronto.ca/scholarships/national-scholarship-program/
These are students who demonstrate superior academic performance, original and creative thought, and exceptional achievement in a broad context. They excel in academic pursuits, demonstrate enthusiasm for intellectual exploration and have a strong involvement in the lives of their schools and communities. With respect to the creativity aspect, it is asked that the original creative work - which could take a variety of forms, for example, a piece of creative writing, a science project, a film, an essay, a solution to a mathematical problem, be submitted if on paper, or by video, photograph or link if preferred. If the previous options are not appropriate for your creative piece, please describe it in a paragraph of 50 words or less.
Deadline to submit a letter of application is October 1, 2021. One page of text max per application. Deadline to apply is October 14, 2021
Queen's University Chancellor's Scholarship recognizes superior academic ability, creative and original thinking, and proven leadership qualities. LP may nominate two candidates. https://www.queensu.ca/studentawards/admission-awards/major-admission-awards
Deadline to submit a draft application, including reference letters, is November 24, 2021.
Please note that the process for applying to Queen’s Accelerated Route to Med School (QuARMS) has changed https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/quarms
Schulich Leader Scholarships are awarded to entrepreneurial-minded high school graduates enrolling in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math program at partner universities: LPCI will nominate 1 candidate http://www.schulichleaders.com/
Deadline to submit a draft application, including reference letters, is January 12th, 2022.
Western National Scholarship Program is designed to recognize all-round excellence. It is awarded on the basis of outstanding academic performance to candidates who demonstrate ability for creative and innovative thought and a passion for the pursuit of learning: LPCI will nominate up to FOUR candidates http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/student_finances/scholarships_awards/national_scholarship_program.html
Deadline to submit a draft application, including reference letters, is January 31, 2022.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships are awarded to students who will be studying at UofT and who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement and creativity, who are accepted as leaders within their school, and who have the potential to contribute to the global community in the future. They can be distinguished from other students who may have equally high academic results by virtue of their breadth of interest, intellectual energy and impact on the life of their school and community. https://future.utoronto.ca/pearson/about/#about Deadline to submit a draft application, including reference letters, is November 16, 2021.
Other Prestigious Scholarships
There are many other scholarships that students can choose to apply for directly. Some examples are below. Please check the awards webpages for the schools you choose to apply to. Scholarship information will also be posted in the Grade 12 Student Services google classroom.
Morehead-Cain is a UNC specific scholarship http://www.moreheadcain.org/
Deadline to submit a draft application for feedback, including reference letters, is September 19, 2022. Deadline for Final Submission is October 1, 2022.
LORAN AWARD Schools will no longer nominate candidates for this award, but rather students will apply independently. http://loranscholar.ca/
Recognizing young people who have the integrity and courage to make difficult decisions, the perseverance to work towards long-term goals, the curiosity to better understand the world around them and the drive to make positive change in their communities. Deadline for final submission is October 13, 2021 8pm.
UofT National Scholarship
Students who have been nominated by their schools as National Book Award recipients may submit applications to the National Scholarship Program. In addition, students who identify themselves as meeting the scholarship criteria are invited to apply directly for the National Scholarship, without having been nominated for the Book Award. https://future.utoronto.ca/national-scholarship/about/
Deadline to apply is October 21, 2021