A supervised Lunch Program is available for all students at Selwyn PS. Grades 1 - 5 will eat in the gym and kindergarten students will eat in their classrooms. Students are supervised while eating lunch in the gym and while playing in the playground. Parents/guardians must complete an application form for each child and return it to the office. A few reminders:
- Please send your child with a nutritious lunch in reusable containers (wherever possible).
- Please remember that Selwyn is a "nut-safe" school. Please do not send food with nuts or nut products as we have a number of students with allergies.
- For safety reasons, students are required to remain on school property when participating in the Lunchroom Program.
- If your child's lunch arrangements are going to change, please ensure that you send a note to school. We will not allow students registered in the lunch program to leave school property without a note from a parent. We will then need to call you to confirm the arrangements. If we are unable to reach you, your child will not be permitted to leave the school.
Our school runs a wonderful snack program for all of our students from kindergarten to grade 5. Healthy food is essential for students’ physical, emotional, social and intellectual development. Well-nourished students are better able to concentrate, more effectively retain and apply the things they learn and are more likely to show positive social behaviours.
Please find attached the monthly menus:
Forms are sent home at the beginning of each year. If you wish to purchase insurance for your child, fill out the form and send your money directly to the insurance company.
Some students suffer from life-threatening allergies, with allergies to peanuts and other nuts and seeds being the most common, but not the only, allergens. We ask that NO NUTS or NUT PRODUCTS BE BROUGHT TO SCHOOL. We also ask that you inform the teacher of any snacks or party treats (and their ingredients) that you will be sending to school. If your child has a serious allergy, please ensure that you tell the office.
Dressing for School
Please ensure that your child is dressed appropriately for school each day. This includes ensuring that they will have the proper clothes for the weather which has been forecasted for the entire day.
- Children go outside most days and need to dress appropriately for the weather. Students remain indoors during rain or severe cold weather (below -20 degrees C.).
- Students need to be able to dress themselves. Please practise dressing independently at home.
- Occasionally children come to school inappropriately dressed for the weather. A staff member may call for you to bring a change of clothes if needed.
- During the winter months, we ask that students have a pair of "indoor shoes" at school. Socks are dangerous on stairs and slippery floors. In case of a emergency, students need to be wearing shoes so they can exit the building immediately.
If your child is taking medication or has any medical problems, please make the teacher aware. Should your child need to take medication during school hours, there are additional forms which must be completed. School staff cannot give a child medication without having these forms completed first.
Sickness or Accidents
If a student becomes ill or has an accident at school, a staff member will contact a family member. Please ensure that you have provided the school with the most up-to-date phone number for you and your child's emergency contacts so that we can contact you in the event of an emergency. If you suspect your child is ill, please allow them to stay at home until they are able to participate fully in the school program.
Smoking is prohibited in the school and on adjacent property. All employees and visitors to any TDSB property must comply with this policy.