"Our  TDSB Mission is to enable all students to reach high levels of achievement and to acquire the knowledge, skills, and values they need to become responsible members of a democratic society."

  • Strong commitment to student achievement and success
  • Support a safe and caring learning environment
  • Continued commitment to ongoing professional learning for staff
  • Encourage life-long learning
  • Collaborative partnerships with parents and the school community

John Wanless Jr. Public School is located between Yonge Street and Avenue Road, north of Lawrence Avenue.


1926: Township of York Board decided that new school was to be named after John Wanless, a Township of York council member, alderman, member of the Board of education, and businessman.

February 15, 1926: Classes began on site in two portables as an annex to Bedford Park School. By September, the number of students grew and two additional portables were added.

Fall of 1926, sketches and tenders for the new building had been acquired.

January 18, 1927: Cornerstone of building laid by Trustee John Wanless. Construction costs amounted to $12,535.

September 1927: Nine-classroom building opened as John Wanless School (no longer an annex of Bedford Park School)

1928-29: Addition built to accommodate increasing population, southern extension which included 10 classrooms and a Kindergarten.

1934: Major addition by C.E. Dyson (possibly the one completed in 1935-36)

1935: New wing built during 1935, possibly completed in 1936 which added six rooms to the north (total of 26 rooms)

1950s: Principal H.L. Matthews organized for improvements to the building such as new office and supplies centre, staff room, teachers' lunchroom, and a war memorial.

1961: School library opened after converting two classrooms into a large room

1997: Notable addition

Aerial photo of John Wanless Jr. Public SchoolOpens in a new window.

Additional information can be found in the school's Toronto District School Board profileOpens in a new window.