Laurier CI is committed to creating school learning environments that are caring, safe, peaceful, nurturing, positive, respectful and that enable all students to reach their full potential. When a school has a positive climate, all members of the school community feel safe, included, accepted and actively promote positive behaviours and interactions with each other.
Providing safe, inclusive and positive spaces, accepting of all students, is a priority in the TDSB. Our schools should be communities where all students are respected, welcomed, included, engaged and encouraged. Creating a positive school climate requires a whole school approach and is essential to building a culture of trust between staff and students and peer-to-peer, high expectations and a sense of belonging. Part of providing a positive school climate is also ensuring Equity is at the foundation of everything
we do for students. This includes, but is not limited to, removing barriers, and creating access andopportunity for our students. By doing so, schools are ensuring each student has all the tools, resources, supports and opportunities they need to thrive.
What makes a positive school climate?
• All students, parents/guardians and staff members feel safe, comfortable and accepted
• Principles of equity and inclusive education are embedded in the learning environment
• Healthy and respectful relationships are promoted among all members of the school community
• Students are encouraged to be leaders and positive role models
• Parents/guardians and community members are actively engaged
• Positive behaviour is reinforced
• Students are given opportunities to develop relationships that are free of discrimination, harassment, racism and oppression
• There is a culture of high expectations to help students reach their full potential
• Diversity is respected and valued