Your child can show empathy by:
- helping, and understanding how others in the family feel
- using words to describe how others may be feeling
- understanding, sensing, and sharing in the feelings and emotions of others
- showing love, sympathy, compassion, and encouragement
- speaking from “I” and owning his or her emotions
Encouraging empathy in your child:
- Encourage discussion, and expose your child to the language of emotions. Talk with your child about the importance of showing empathy through helping others.
- Share your own feelings with your child, providing him or her with the opportunity to be empathetic.
- Allow your child to express his or her feelings, regardless of whether they are positive or negative.