Guidelines for Visiting Teachers
Please ensure that each supervising teacher has a copy of this information!
Welcome to Mono Cliffs Outdoor Education Centre. We really appreciate your efforts in organizing your class for this trip to the great outdoors. The following guidelines are to help you have a comfortable and enjoyable visit with us.
ROLE OF VISITING TEACHER
1. Prepare students prior to visit: expectations, responsibilities, appropriate clothing, collectmedical and permission forms and money.
2. Discipline students at Mono Cliffs and en route.
3. Assist in supervision of some programs.
4. Supervise dormitories when any students are there.
5. Supervise Recreation Time at 4pm.
6. Assist in dining room supervision.
7. Supervise Evening Snack and students in dorms overnight after 8pm.
What follows are some details which are especially helpful if you have never visited Mono Cliffs with students before.
When you arrive, you will attend a Teacher Orientation meeting. The purpose of this meeting is to:1. Meet our program staff.
2. Update trip information (final numbers, medical and dietary info, group lists, dorm lists, dining room seating plan, anticipated staff or student arrivals or departures).
3. Discuss students with special needs: medical, language, learning and social (behaviour).
4. Finalize the schedule and review visiting teacher responsibilities.
By the end of the first lunch Visiting Teachers will have signed up to accompany our staff on programs where additional supervision is needed. Visiting teachers are also welcome to join programs at other times, having the opportunity to observe their students in a different setting.
Our outdoor education staff appreciates your participation during program.Your help regarding individual learning styles, modification of content, and/or correction of inappropriate student behaviour, will be of great assistance to our instructional staff.
Open communication between Visiting Teachers and Mono Cliffs Staff ensures the best possible learning experience for everyone.
Please help students get to their morning, afternoon and evening programs on time. These times and locations are announced at the end of each meal and posted on the white board outside the mudroom.
Students and teachers bring their first lunch. It must be a ready-to-eat lunch. We encourage all to bring a waste free lunch. Please do not to bring any peanuts, nuts and nut products. Students need to check the labels before they arrive here. Mono Cliffs is striving to be a nut-sensitive facility.
Please make sure that all students are in the Fraser Lounge of Highland Hall at least ten minutes before each meal. Breakfast starts at 8am, Lunch is at noon and Dinner is at 5:00pm. Mono Cliffs staff will let you know what time you need to be in the Fraser Lounge for instructions before a meal.
Meals are run by Mono Cliffs staff. Your assistance with supervision in the dining hall will help to make meal times anenjoyable and manageable experience for everyone. The Visiting Teachers are needed to supervise the students during the transition time after each meal.
IN THE DORMITORIES
- Visiting teachers are responsible for students whenever they are in the dormitories.
- At least one teacher must be in the dorm whenever any number of students are there.
- Please do not engage in the telling of ghost stories at night.
- No running or horseplay inside
- Outdoor footwear left in the mudroom
- No visiting in each other’s rooms
- No food or drinks allowed in dorm rooms
You will be given two master keys per dormitory when you arrive. If you wish to lock your room, please do so, but it is important that students do not lock their rooms. Please remember to return the dorm master keys, lamps and clock radios (the contents of your milk crate) to the Highland Hall office before you leave.
Supervision at Recreation Time (4:00 – 4:45pm)
- Teachers are responsible for the direct supervision of students during “Rec Time”.
- If there are students outside then at least one teacher must be outside.
- If students are in the dorms, then there must be at least one teacher in the dorm to supervise.
- Students are instructed to socialize in dorm lounge while inside, not in their rooms.A Mono Cliffs intern has access to the sports equipment in the small building near the Sandstone dorm. A limited number of indoor games can be found in the “Games Bin” in each dorm lounge.
Supervision of Telephone Use Student use of the telephone is for emergencies only. Calls must be dialed by the visiting teacher and monitored by the visiting teacher using the telephone in the foyer of Highland Hall only. Please try to limit telephone use as it ties up the Toronto line and impacts on student supervision in the dormitories.
Complete instructions for the use of the dorm fireplaces are located in the wood box beside the fireplace. Make certain that the fire doors are closed tightly before going to bed.
A few students will carry the evening snack to the dorm after dinner. Visiting Teachers supervise snack as part of your evening routine. Please return any leftover hot chocolate powder or juice, and all the rinsed mugs to the kitchen area in Highland Hall before breakfast the next morning (7:55am).Click for a word version of this page