The Black Poetry Recitation Contest is a poetry recitation
contest for students in Grades 9 – 12.
Registration is free and open to all students.
HOW DOES THE CONTEST WORK?
• Student contestants choose and learn to recite poems from our anthology of
• Each student has to commit their selected poem to memory and practise their
• Students compete in the spring in celebration of Black History Month 2020.
• For students to be eligible for the contest, they must work with a teacher
at their school to participate in the Black Poetry Recitation Contest.
• Finalists will have an opportunity to work with a poet in preparation
for the competition.
• A school can name up to 5 students to participate in the Finals.
• All competitors must be aged 18 or younger by September 30, 2019.
Monday, October 7, 2019: Schools indicate interest in contest at http://bit.ly/2lQF2bi
Monday, November 18, 2019: Registration of individual student contestants
Saturday, March 7, 2020: Finals at York University