This Google Chrome Extension is especially important for students with literacy needs especially when teachers can't be beside them to offer support.
The Read and Write Extension icon looks like a purple puzzle piece (you can see a sample just below) near the top right of your Chrome browser. It doesn't work in other browsers. If students don't already have this icon on their current device, they can get the extension in the Chrome browser here:
This is a link to a "Features Sheet" which briefly describes how Read and Write allows students to :
- have text read from a screen as it highlights each word along the way
- access word predication to help with spelling
- convert their speech into very accurate text which can then be edited by the student
- create vocabulary sheets for a particular reading
- research a topic and have the highlighted ideas and a reference copied to a new Google Doc
Here are some short (1- 2 minute) Video Tutorials to show how to access the functions available in Read and Write.