we green is Downsview Secondary School's environmental, EcoSchool club. With over 25 student members, our club changes throughout the year to reflect a variety of environmental issues at our school, in the community and around the world.
Currently we are a Gold certified EcoSchool thanks to the hard work of our students who have organized:
• a community clean up of High Park for the Great Canadian Waterfront Clean Up
• collaborated with Downsview P.S. to clean up the local school grounds and community
• created a "Friday Lights Out" program, enouraging classes to turn off their lights on Fridays to save energy
• planned our annual Earth Day events every May for the last 4 years. This is a school wide initiative where teachers, staff and students get involved in landscaping and planting in our courtyards and gardens
• collect recycling each week
• conducted a waste audit of school trash to see what we waste and what we can reuse!
We have worked with a variety of community members including:
• Haliburton Forest & Wild Life Reserve, learning about Ecological stewardship, leadership and green travel by Dog Sledding!
• Evergreen to plant trees at Downsview Park
• Evergreen Bicycle workshops and trail riding in the Don Valley
• Lowes hardware who have donated over $8000 dollars worth of plants and landscaping tools to our 2011 EarthDay event
* Zero Footprint to decrease our ecological footprint
• Jane Goodall's Roots and Shoots
• The Great Canadian Shoreline Clean Up
• Best Buy's Tech It Away - We won first place for our Electronic Waste Sculpture, which is currently housed in Best Buy's Head Office in British Columbia
• Foodshare - We have been involved in a variety of workshops and programs with Foodshare including "The Big Crunch!" An apple biting bonanza
• Metro Green Apple Grant - This year (2012-2013) we have been awarded the Green Apple Grant for our new Green Lunch program. After school "we green" members meet to prepare healthy lunches and snacks for our students. We are learning how easy and cheap it can be to eat smart and live green.
If you would like more information about some of the groups we've worked with please visit:
Each year our school is audited by the TDSB EcoSchool team using the Certification toolkit. Our current goal is to become a Platinum certified school.
For more information on EcoSchools please visit their website at:
Our first trip is to High Park for the Great Canadian Shoreline Clean-Up was a success! Come on out and clean our ravine.