For your convenience, a partially completed 511C form is provided
(pdf format). To ensure a successful day, it is essential to review BOTH the Program Specific Information below AND the General Guidelines
Program Specific Information
1. Before coming, remind students:
- this program is not “an outing”, it is a “work day”
- lots of energy is needed -- eat breakfast!
- the program takes place outdoors in a naturalized area so they must protect themselves against mosquitoes, ticks, ultraviolet rays, and poison ivy by wearing light coloured breathable clothing that covers arms and legs (no shorts); hats/caps are recommended; wear closed toed shoes (no sandals)
- the class needs to bring insect repellent with no more than 10% DEET and sunscreen -these products should NOT be applied before coming to the program, TUSC staff will instruct the students on how to apply them correctly
- all program materials, including pencils and clipboards, are provided
2. Students need to bring a packed lunch and water. Bottled water only please; sweet drinks such as juice or soda pop dehydrate students and attract bees, wasps and other insects. Since there are a limited number of drinking fountains in the park, encourage students to bring an extra bottle of water, especially if the day is warm. A short video to share with your students- Why you should bring water
3. TUSC is a Platinum EcoSchool - Waste-Free Lunches are expected!.
Location and Travel Instructions
Kew Beach is in the East end Beaches neighbourhood south-east of Queen and Woodbine. The program starts at 30 Lee Ave, near the intersection of Alfresco Lawn.
Take the Line 2 subway to Main Street station; board the 64 Main St. bus southbound, and get off at Hambly Ave, just north of Queen St. E. Walk west one block to Lee Ave.; go south to 30 Lee Ave.
By School Bus
Drop-off and pick-up is at 30 Lee Ave.