Urban Oasis: A High Park Habitat
For your convenience, a partially completed 511C form is provided
(pdf format). To ensure a successful day, it is essential to review BOTH the Program Specific Information below AND the General Guidelines
Program Specific Information
1. Before coming, remind students:
- this program is not “an outing”, it is a “work day”
- lots of energy is needed!
- the program takes place outdoors in a naturalized area so they must protect themselves against mosquitoes, ticks, ultraviolet rays, and poison ivy by wearing light coloured breathable clothing that covers arms and legs (no shorts); hats/caps are recommended; wear closed toed shoes (no sandals)
- the class needs to bring insect repellent with no more than 10% DEET and sunscreen -these products should NOT be applied before coming to the program, TUSC staff will instruct the students on how to apply them correctly
- In High Park, all program materials, including pencils and clipboards, are provided
- In your local green space, please provide your own pencils and clipboards.
2. Students need to bring a packed lunch and water. Bottled water only please; sweet drinks such as juice or soda pop dehydrate students and attract bees, wasps and other insects. Since there are a limited number of drinking fountains in the park, encourage students to bring an extra bottle of water, especially if the day is warm. A short video to share with your students- Why you should bring water
3. TUSC is a Platinum EcoSchool - Waste-Free Lunches are expected!.
Location and Travel Instructions
High Park is located in Toronto’s west end and is bounded to the north by Bloor Street West, to the south by The Queensway, to the east by Parkside Drive and to the west by Grenadier Pond.
Go to the High Park Subway Station and exit to High Park Avenue. Walk south on High Park Avenue to the main entrance to High Park (south side of Bloor Street West at High Park Avenue). The TUSC staff will meet you at the grassy area at the main entrance. The program ends in the central area of High Park. To access the TTC walk north (10 minutes) to the Bloor Danforth subway line.
by School Bus:
drop-off: Buses enter High Park via the main entrance on the south side of Bloor Street West at High Park Avenue and proceed to the first roadside parking area just south of the entrance. After leaving the bus, walk back to the grassy area at the main entrance to meet the TUSC staff.
pick-up: At the end of the day, is at the Grenadier Cafe in the middle of the park.