Focus on Kensington
For your convenience, a partially completed 511C form is provided
(pdf format). To ensure a successful day, it is essential to review BOTH the Program Specific Information below AND the General Guidelines
Focus on Kensington involves about one and a half hours of outdoor field work where students work in teams of 4 to complete activities in the area around Kensington Market. Depending on the number of adults (TUSC staff and visiting school staff/volunteers) groups may be working independently without direct supervision. Please ensure that students are prepared for this responsibility.
Program Specific Information
1. Organize students into groups of 4; maximum number of groups: 8. 2. Before coming, remind students:
- this program is not “an outing”, it is a “work day”
- dress appropriately - program includes walking
- good sidewalk etiquette is required - walking in pairs behind each other and leaving enough space on the sidewalk for other pedestrians
- bring an extra bottle of water - no drinking fountains
- all program materials, including pencils and clipboards, are provided
- absolutely no skateboards or scooters
2. Students may bring a packed lunch and a drink or, at the discretion of the teacher, classes may purchase lunch along Augusta avenue in Kensington Market. If you are a packing a lunch, remember TUSC is a Platinum EcoSchool - Waste-Free Lunches
3. Students need two TTC tickets
: one to get to the program and one to return to school.
Location and Travel Instructions
The program begins at the TDSB’s Kensington Community School. The program ends in Kensington Market (Bellevue Square, just north of Dundas Street, west of Spadina).
Go to the Bathurst Subway Station (Bloor Subway Line); take the streetcar south to College Street. Walk a block and a half east to the front door of Kensington CS, on the south side of College. At the end of the day, walk east to Spadina Avenue and take the Spadina streetcar north to Spadina Subway Station or walk south to Dundas Street and take the Dundas streetcar east or west.
by School Bus:
Buses stop on College, outside Kensington C.S. At the end of the day, we recommend that students are picked up on Bellevue Avenue, just south of College Street (south east corner of Bellevue and College, i.e. outside St. Stephen’s-in-the-Field Church)
Since this is a very congested area
with many narrow streets, your bus driver may prefer to pick up students in a different location; be sure to arrange a suitable meeting place.