Asia in Toronto
For your convenience, a partially completed 511C form is provided (pdf format). To ensure a successful day, it is essential to review BOTH the Program Specific Information below AND the General Guidelines!
You may also find it helpful to use the Assessment Guide during the program to collect anecdotal and observational information about your students as they participate in the program.
Program Specific Information
1. Before coming, please organize students into groups of four (two pairs of students per group)
; maximum number of groups: 8.
2. Before coming, remind students:
- this program is not “an outing”, it is a “work day”
- dress appropriately - as afternoon activities are completed “rain or shine”
- good sidewalk etiquette is required - walking in pairs behind each other and leaving enough space on the sidewalk for other pedestrians (Chinatown II is a busy place!)
- bring an extra bottle of water - no drinking fountains in Chinatown
- all program materials, including pencils and clipboards, are provided
3. Students need to bring a packed lunch and a drink. Water only please. TUSC is a Platinum EcoSchool - Waste-Free Lunches
4. Participants need three TTC tickets (IF over 12 years): one to get to the program; one for travel during the program; and one to return to school.
5. The afternoon visit to Chinatown II includes the use of an Android app (developed and published by TUSC) on our tablets; the photographs taken by students are done with the app, and these photos are uploaded to a web page for your class to view the fieldwork. The URL to this web page is not published, and is only accessible through an email sent to the teacher. However, we highly encourage students to avoid being in the photos they take.
Location and Travel Instructions
The Toronto Urban Studies Centre I.T. lab
is located in Danforth Collegiate and Technical Institute, 800 Greenwood Avenue, one block north of Danforth Avenue at Strathmore Boulevard.The program ends at the Dragon City Mall, south-west corner of Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue.
Go to the Greenwood Subway Station. Walk one block west along Strathmore Boulevard; enter the school via the the door at the south east corner of Greenwood and Strathmore Avenues and follow the signs to Room A20. At the end of the day, take the Spadina streetcar north to the Bloor-Danforth / Yonge-University-Spadina subway lines OR takes the Dundas streetcar east or west along Dundas.
by School Bus:
Buses stop on the north side of Strathmore Boulevard. Enter by the south east door and follow the signs to Room A20.
Students are picked up at the Dragon City Mall, south-west corner of Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue.
Groups using school buses should note that travel from the TUSC I.T. Lab to Chinatown II is via TTC; one ticket per participant is required if over 12 years.