Geotechnologies in Action 8
For your convenience, click here for a partially completed 511C form is provided
(pdf format) for Geotechnologies in Action.To ensure a successful day, it is essential to review BOTH the Program Specific Information below AND the General Guidelines
Program Specific Information
Geotechnologies in Action involves about one hour of outdoor field work where students work in teams of 4 to complete activities in the area around Danforth CTI. Depending on the number of adults (TUSC staff and visiting school staff/volunteers) groups may be working independently, at times, without direct supervision. Please ensure that students are prepared for this responsibility.
1. Before coming to the program, divide the students into pairs. Put two pairs of students together to form a working group of four. Please consider how students are partnered as they will be working together as a foursome for the field portion and in pairs at the computers to complete a variety of activities. In the case of "odd numbers", groups of 3 are preferred over groups of 5. Maximum number of groups: 8.
2. Before coming, remind students:
- this program is not “an outing”, it is a “work day”
- dress appropriately - we are outside in the morning (wear comfy shoes, rain gear or umbrella and bring gloves if it is cool!)
- good sidewalk etiquette is required
- bring a bottle of water - limited drinking fountains
- all program materials, including pencils and clipboards, are provided
3. Students need to bring a packed lunch and a drink. TUSC is a Platinum EcoSchool - Waste-Free Lunches
4. Students need two TTC tickets
: one to get to the program and one to return to school.
Location and Travel Instructions
The Toronto Urban Studies Centre I.T. lab
is located in room A20 in Danforth Collegiate and Technical School, 800 Greenwood Avenue, one block north of Danforth Avenue at Strathmore Boulevard.
Go to the Greenwood Subway Station. Walk one block west along Strathmore Boulevard; enter the school via the the door at the south east corner of Greenwood and Strathmore Avenues and follow the signs to Room A20.
by School Bus:
Buses stop on the north side of Strathmore Boulevard. Enter by the south east door and follow the signs to Room A20. At the end of the day, students are picked up at the same location.