Be a Geographer
For your convenience, a partially completed 511C form is provided (pdf format).
To ensure a successful day, it is essential to please review the Program Specific Information (below) AND the General Guidelines!
Program Specific Information
NOTE: Be A Geographer’s "Go Green" survey involves about an hour of outdoor field work where students work in teams to survey up to 8 blocks in the area around Danforth CTI. Ideally, each team has four students - two students work together as "Team A" (Being Water Wise) and two students work together as "Team B" (Creating Habitat) on the same block.
- a) Before coming to the program, organize students into pairs. Please consider how students are partnered as they will be working together all day to complete a variety of activities.
b) Put two pairs together to make a table group of 4 (Team A and Team B).
- Before coming, remind students:
- this program is not “an outing”, it is a “work day”
- dress appropriately - we are outside in the morning (bring rain gear and/or gloves if it is cool!)
- good sidewalk etiquette is required
- bring a bottle of water - no drinking fountains
- all program materials, including pencils and clipboards, are provided
- Students need to bring a packed lunch and a drink. TUSC is a Platinum EcoSchool - Waste-Free Lunches are expected!
- Unless you are walking to TUSC, students need two TTC tickets: one to get to the program and one to return to school. TUSC is located in Danforth Collegiate, room A20 (ground level), 800 Greenwood Ave.
Post Visit Activity
Teachers may want to consider using this extension activity:
Use the observations made during the fieldwork at TUSC to assess and evaluate your school property. Research and prepare a redesigned landscape for the school that is "Water Wise" and Habitat Friendly".